Monday, April 29, 2013

Flower Power




I have a lot of stuff. Clothing stuff. Clothing that needs to be pared down in preparation for our move to Anchorage. I have no idea how to do this.

OK, that makes me sound dense. I know how, and I donate a good amount of stuff on a regular basis. But how do you go even deeper? Get your closet down to just pieces you love? Or what if you love something (like the blue dress above) but don't see yourself reaching for it very often?

I just read something recently (I wish I could remember where) that said for casual, everyday clothing you should expect to wear the item at least as many times as the dollar amount spent.

Mind.

Blown.

I'm making myself sound like an idiot again. I knew that I should be looking at more investment pieces but I never had a formula for it. I like math. I like hard numbers. I like following formulas. They make me feel all science-y and . . . stuff.

So I'm thinking maybe I should get rid of things that I don't expect to get a return on my investment from. It should be very interesting going through my closet again using this criteria to get rid of things. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

two birds said...

if that's the sace, i thrift a LOT, and usually at the very least get my $2 worth. i do like that formula, though. however, i guess it usually means getting rid of the spendier things in your closet. ps, you shoudl keep the dress, i love the colors and fit on you!

Andi said...

I haven't heard that formula before, but I like it! I'm trying to constantly pare down my wardrobe and sell/donate things, but it is hard to know what to do with the loved but not frequently worn items. If I go a whole season without wearing something that belongs in that season, it gets the boot. (and I only cheat a little bit).

Teal said...

Uh, wait...when did I miss the fact that you are moving to Anchorage? Cool city, I loved it when I visited but whoa! Big move.

I just went through a big closet takedown when we moved and threw out tons of stuff. My philosophy was if I haven't worn it in two years, it goes. Now, granted, I applied this philosophy to a denim vest I'd be holding onto since 1994 a few years back and I've lived to regret it, so take my advice for the two cents it is worth...